Dear Year 13,
great lesson today. Thanks for getting stuck in!
I suggest that you print yourself a copy of the attached document and stick it into your book / file. There is a copy of the table (resistance/oppression) plus the AO5 critical views and then a table wtih AO3 prompts. I also have embedded the link to the AO2 the ways meaning is created glossary for drama – print this too.
Your task for today:
to create a mini-essay on your chosen character. It will be added to a shared file and be used by the class so it needs to be high quality.
How is X presented in Act One and what is her function ?
- When and how they arrive into the scene (Ao2)
- Their ‘story’ and how it is told/received (Marlene/waitress fulfil don’t really do this. Look at their alternative contributions) AO2
- Their rebellion / contribution at the end of the Act
- Understanding their character in context (production and reception) AO3
- Their function / Churchill’s intentions
It must include:
4-6 primary quotes peppered to show an understanding of her narrative/ values / attitudes
2 brief critical quotes (from my list or your own research online)
2-3 precise contextual references showing discerning research plus views of audiences from 1982 and 2016
AO2 understanding embedded in interpretation: dialogue & style of speech/ appearance/ stage directions / juxtaposition & relationship to other characters / structure / character development
Write it on word size 12 arial